ITINERARIES AND HISTORICAL AND CULTURAL NEWS

In the district of Canino you can try the authentic “taste” of nature not only through food tours based on the extra virgin olive oil, which is the typical product of this area, but also admiring the countryside and the expanse of olive groves, or visiting the wildlife oasis and the areas flanking the Fiora River, which divides the territory of Canino from Tuscany. Many different tourist and cultural places can be visited in this area. In fact, other than the near towns of Bolsena, Tarquinia and Tuscania, the district of the old Duchy of Castro is rich in history and curiosities that are briefly reported below.

ITINERARIES AND HISTORICAL AND CULTURAL NEWS

In the district of Canino you can try the authentic “taste” of nature not only through food tours based on the extra virgin olive oil, which is the typical product of this area, but also admiring the countryside and the expanse of olive groves, or visiting the wildlife oasis and the areas flanking the Fiora River, which divides the territory of Canino from Tuscany. Many different tourist and cultural places can be visited in this area. In fact, other than the near towns of Bolsena, Tarquinia and Tuscania, the district of the old Duchy of Castro is rich in history and curiosities that are briefly reported below.

il territorio di canino

CANINO

Its origin is linked to “gens Canina”, one of the noblest families of the Etruscan city of Vulci. Remains of an imperial villa testify to the Roman presence, but the first written records date back to the Papal Bull issued by Leo IV in the IX century. The town was the birthplace of Pope Paolo III, born Alessandro Farnese. Luciano Bonaparte, Napoleon’s brother, lived in the palace designed by architect Valadier. The family Chapel is located in the Collegiate Church, where it is possible to admire the paintings by Albertinelli, Wicar, Monaldo and some Flemish painters. Other paintings and frescoes by Pietro Perugino can be found in the Monastery of St. Francis. The smallest and oldest bronze bell ever known was found in Canino. Recently restored in the Vatican Museums, this relic of considerable importance and rarity dates back to the VIII century and is the oldest bell bearing a dedicatory inscription. In the territory of Canino, the Etruscan area of Vulci on the border with Tuscany, you can also visit the National Museum, the Etruscan Necropolis and the “Civita”. In the area of “centocamere” you can see the remains of Roman baths where the miraculous sulphur water of “Bagno” still flows abundantly at a temperature of 39°C. In Vulci you can visit the Castle of Abbadia (among the oldest castles in Italy), which was used as Papal Custom House, and all the amazing Etruscan objects displayed in the museum and found in the numerous graves discovered in this area. The paintings on the tomb of Francois, the most important grave, are stored in the museum of Villa Torlonia in Rome.

CANINO

Its origin is linked to “gens Canina”, one of the noblest families of the Etruscan city of Vulci. Remains of an imperial villa testify to the Roman presence, but the first written records date back to the Papal Bull issued by Leo IV in the IX century. The town was the birthplace of Pope Paolo III, born Alessandro Farnese. Luciano Bonaparte, Napoleon’s brother, lived in the palace designed by architect Valadier. The family Chapel is located in the Collegiate Church, where it is possible to admire the paintings by Albertinelli, Wicar, Monaldo and some Flemish painters. Other paintings and frescoes by Pietro Perugino can be found in the Monastery of St. Francis. The smallest and oldest bronze bell ever known was found in Canino. Recently restored in the Vatican Museums, this relic of considerable importance and rarity dates back to the VIII century and is the oldest bell bearing a dedicatory inscription. In the territory of Canino, the Etruscan area of Vulci on the border with Tuscany, you can also visit the National Museum, the Etruscan Necropolis and the “Civita”. In the area of “centocamere” you can see the remains of Roman baths where the miraculous sulphur water of “Bagno” still flows abundantly at a temperature of 39°C. In Vulci you can visit the Castle of Abbadia (among the oldest castles in Italy), which was used as Papal Custom House, and all the amazing Etruscan objects displayed in the museum and found in the numerous graves discovered in this area. The paintings on the tomb of Francois, the most important grave, are stored in the museum of Villa Torlonia in Rome.

il territorio arlena di castro

ARLENA DI CASTRO

It was called “Arleum” in the Papal Bull that issued the Duchy of Castro. The first document in which the name of Arlena is reported dates back to an ancient scroll of the year 823, related to a donation made by Walperto di Rofano. In 1537, Arlena became part of the Duchy of Castro, then the town underwent depopulation and subsequently, by order of Alessandro Farnese, repopulation. In 1788, Pope Pius VI gave it in emphyteusis and then it was sold to the Polish Prince Poniatowski. Many Etruscan graves were found in the territory.

 

The characteristic remains of the ancient “Rocca” dominate the part called “Castelvecchio” at the entrance to the town.

ARLENA DI CASTRO

It was called “Arleum” in the Papal Bull that issued the Duchy of Castro. The first document in which the name of Arlena is reported dates back to an ancient scroll of the year 823, related to a donation made by Walperto di Rofano. In 1537, Arlena became part of the Duchy of Castro, then the town underwent depopulation and subsequently, by order of Alessandro Farnese, repopulation. In 1788, Pope Pius VI gave it in emphyteusis and then it was sold to the Polish Prince Poniatowski. Many Etruscan graves were found in the territory.

 

The characteristic remains of the ancient “Rocca” dominate the part called “Castelvecchio” at the entrance to the town.

il territorio cellere

CELLERE

Once known as “Cellulae” and “Castrum Cereris”, mentioned for the first time in a scroll of the year 737, it was a fertile agricultural land during the Roman era, as suggested by its name. In 1180 Cellere, along with Canino, was sold to Viterbo by antipope Innocent III. Then the events and wars of that period occurred, among which the release of Tuscania with Cardinal Albornoz, the sale of the Castle owned by the Orsini family up to the destruction of Castro in 1649, which brought the town back under the rule of the Holy. Seat.

 In Cellere, other than the fertile land, the scrub, the cliffs and the caves which gave refuge to the famous bandit of Maremma Domenichino Tiburzi, also known as the “king of the road, king of the forest”, it is possible to admire the Church of St. Egidio (Renaissance style) attributed to Antonio di Sangallo the Young and the remains of the tower in the community of Pianano, 5 km from the town.

CELLERE

Once known as “Cellulae” and “Castrum Cereris”, mentioned for the first time in a scroll of the year 737, it was a fertile agricultural land during the Roman era, as suggested by its name. In 1180 Cellere, along with Canino, was sold to Viterbo by antipope Innocent III. Then the events and wars of that period occurred, among which the release of Tuscania with Cardinal Albornoz, the sale of the Castle owned by the Orsini family up to the destruction of Castro in 1649, which brought the town back under the rule of the Holy. Seat.

 In Cellere, other than the fertile land, the scrub, the cliffs and the caves which gave refuge to the famous bandit of Maremma Domenichino Tiburzi, also known as the “king of the road, king of the forest”, it is possible to admire the Church of St. Egidio (Renaissance style) attributed to Antonio di Sangallo the Young and the remains of the tower in the community of Pianano, 5 km from the town.

il territorio ischia di castro

ISCHIA DI CASTRO

Once called “Iscla” or “Iscia”, this town is located on the border with Tuscany in the area called Maternum by the Etruscans. However, the presence of “homo primigenius” dates back to the Stone and Bronze Ages, as evidenced by graves, caves and archaeological finds discovered in many areas of its territory, where you can also find the remains of ancient monasteries of the Middle Ages. After the domination of the Lombards, the Aldobrandeschi and the Orsini, Ischia became one of the first fiefs owned by the Farnese family and, after the destruction of the town of Castro, it went back under the temporal power of the popes. After joining the Kingdom of Italy in 1870, in 1872 it took the current name of Ischia di Castro, under Royal Decree issued by King Vittorio Emanuele II.

 In different periods, Ischia hosted illustrious guests such as Annibal Caro, Charles Emmanuel IV of Sardinia, painter Francesco Coghetti (some of his works are kept in the church) and other important people who were fascinated by the woods and the olive groves, the wild landscape and the historical remains of the troubled existence of this town, which is still characterized by the huge castle of the Doge’s Palace.

ISCHIA DI CASTRO

Once called “Iscla” or “Iscia”, this town is located on the border with Tuscany in the area called Maternum by the Etruscans. However, the presence of “homo primigenius” dates back to the Stone and Bronze Ages, as evidenced by graves, caves and archaeological finds discovered in many areas of its territory, where you can also find the remains of ancient monasteries of the Middle Ages. After the domination of the Lombards, the Aldobrandeschi and the Orsini, Ischia became one of the first fiefs owned by the Farnese family and, after the destruction of the town of Castro, it went back under the temporal power of the popes. After joining the Kingdom of Italy in 1870, in 1872 it took the current name of Ischia di Castro, under Royal Decree issued by King Vittorio Emanuele II.

 In different periods, Ischia hosted illustrious guests such as Annibal Caro, Charles Emmanuel IV of Sardinia, painter Francesco Coghetti (some of his works are kept in the church) and other important people who were fascinated by the woods and the olive groves, the wild landscape and the historical remains of the troubled existence of this town, which is still characterized by the huge castle of the Doge’s Palace.

il territorio tessennano

TESSENNANO

The first written records about the town date back to 1263, when it was mentioned as one of the castles ruled by Tuscania. Later, in 1537, under the Farnesi family, it became part of the Duchy of Castro, that was then annexed to the Holy Seat, which then donated it to several Lords of that period.

Tessennano is surrounded by a green and evocative landscape and, with about 400 inhabitants, is one of the smallest municipalities in Italy.

TESSENNANO

The first written records about the town date back to 1263, when it was mentioned as one of the castles ruled by Tuscania. Later, in 1537, under the Farnesi family, it became part of the Duchy of Castro, that was then annexed to the Holy Seat, which then donated it to several Lords of that period.

Tessennano is surrounded by a green and evocative landscape and, with about 400 inhabitants, is one of the smallest municipalities in Italy.

COOPERATIVE OIL MILL OF CANINO

Our oil mill is open every day, including holidays, from 8.00 to 13.00

and from 15.00 to 18.00

Use the Google Map to see our location and directions to reach us.

Click on the button below to send us a contact email.

COOPERATIVE OIL MILL OF CANINO

Our oil mill is open every day, including holidays, from 8.00 to 13.00

and from 15.00 to 18.00

Use the Google Map to see our location and directions to reach us.

Click on the button below to send us a contact email.

SIGN UP TO OUR NEWSLETTER

To stay informed about news or the sale of the new Extra Virgin Olive Oil